Monday, 21 April 2014

Sewing a dress for church





In September this year students in my fashion design class are supposed to start sewing actual garments, so I usually sew stuff for practice (my stitches can look like a frolicking grasshopper).  I made a simple dress for Easter Sunday service, process photos are placed below.

My fabrics: kiana, stretch cotton(?), a type of embroidered linen, chiffon and printed polyester cotton.


My patterns are in the photo below:






I cut out the bodice part from the linen. I also cut out an underdress from the kiana fabric. Sleeves were cut out also, as seen in the upper left corner but they were not used:


The chiffon fabric was folded into quarters and cut out to form a circle.




The two parts of the bodice back are sewn together at a line half inch from the edge (The pair of scissors indicates the line).

Side seams are then sewn. 





Shoulder seams are sewn:

Chiffon material is basted and gathered at the waist.

The photo above shows the preparation to attach the blouse to the skirt ('Blouse an' skerrt!').

The blouse and skirt were basted together so that the elastic could be attached (elastic is a life - saver, I tell you!).


Photo documentation is missing here because I was busy directing some choice words at the chiffon fabric.  The finished outfit :

I am very proud of myself because I never tried formal fabrics before.  Some of the stitching is like whoa but I believe practice makes better.  So I continue my sewing quest :)



Sunday, 13 April 2014

      Sewing curtains


I decided to make some living room curtains for Christmas 2013 using brown cotton and printed polyester cotton material.
I tie - dyed the brown cotton and got an unexpected colour, so I just went out afterwards and bought the printed polyester cotton to match the tie - dyed brown cotton. In the photo below, the tie - dyed fabric is above while the printed polyester cotton is below.




Then I measured the two different types of fabric to get similar widths.  They were pinned together before sewing.

The pieces were sewn together.

I


I hemmed around the edges of each curtain and sewed the folds on top so the curtain rod can fit through.  The finished product is seen below:







Saturday, 11 May 2013

Turning an old pair of jeans into a denim skirt

I love to recycle.  So instead of throwing away the pair of jeans I turned it into a skirt.

I started by cutting the jeans to about knee length. Then I ripped open the seams on the inside of the legs.  I sewed them back to form a skirty shape and added lace.  I really like lace - it reminds me of church and Confirmation.


Saturday, 30 March 2013

I made a cute pincushion

I used a tp roll, needle, thread,glue gun and various types of fabric. I used fabric from a baby's hat to cover the tp roll, then I fastened the corners with hot glue.





I used gathering stitch to make rounded ball-type shapes for the top of the cupcake.





I made three of these, varying the colour and size.



I hot glued everything together, tied a ribbon around it and called that George.

I made my own HANDBAG ORGANIZER

My work handbag was out of control! This is my bag on drugs:




I couldn't zip it shut so I decided that I needed an organizer to help me out.
So now my handbag can zip close a little easier and I don't have to go fishing round the bottom of the bag to get what I want!

Monday, 3 December 2012

Another attempt at Pop Art

I picked some pod-looking things from a tree in my yard and decided to do a Pop Art version of it.  I used Conte charcoal pencils, coloured pencils and markers.  The finished piece wasn't too bad!


The background colours are very engaging.

Wednesday, 28 November 2012

Blue house on Green Background

I finished a painting of a house today.  I will go through the steps of this painting:
1) Started with a pencil sketch on canvas board:

2) Added a few washes, spattered blue and topped with a green wash in the background to represent the sky.  Also added dark grey to roof:


3) I began to add blue on the walls of the house. Also added lighter greys, light violet and white to roof:



4) Finished painting.